| This plaza in front of the Precarpathian Museum is home to two blacksmith sculptures. You can't see them in this photo, but the plaza just looks so nice... |
![]() |
| The name 'Stanislawow', spelled here in both Cyrillic and Latin alphabets at the base of the arch, is the former name of the city. It was renamed Ivano-Frankivsk in 1962. |





Hi Matt and Kathrina, Happy New Year. I'm enjoying your posts alot. The blacksmith's sculptures are really cool and Ivano-Frankivsk appears very picturesque. Also been thinking about you whenever the unrest in Kiev pops up on the news which is quite frequent. Do those events affect anyone outside of Kiev?
ReplyDeleteLife at NSF is fine. Bob Wellek retired on Jan 3rd--just shy of 37 years of service. He announced his retirement only about a month before he did it. I miss him. Today is a snow day in DC and fed gov is shut down. This is about the third time this season, but at least this time it's actually snowing outside. In early Dec, we had a dusting of snow one evening but it was a normal winter day the next morning. So I walked to NSF only to find out the fed gov was shut down because of the weather! I now check my email for an "operations shutdown" message if I detect a single snowflake in the morning.
Take care, Arlene
This is great information guys and the photographs are beautiful! Thank you for taking the time/energy to share this.
ReplyDeleteCyd