Friday, February 28, 2014

Vignettes from the Classroom in Ivano-Frankivsk

Math Makes Matt a Monster
It’s the first meeting with one of my classes. I walk into classroom and the entire chalkboard is absolutely covered with algebraic formulas from top to bottom. I know my students don’t study math; they are enrolled in the records management department. To lighten the mood and make the students feel more at ease about their English abilities in the presence of a native speaker, I decide to make a joke. Pointing at the formulas on the board behind me I ask, “Is everybody finished copying this?” There’s dead silence. Every face in the room is perfectly expressionless. One student in the front row gets up slowly and wades across the vast stillness to erase the chalkboard while the rest of the students stare ahead intently, hoping not to incur any further wrath from the new English teacher. Now I’m a monster. Shall we begin?

There’s Nothing Funny about the NSA
I talked with several of my classes about the ongoing controversy surrounding the National Security Agency and Edward Snowden. As chance would have it, NSA released a commercial for the Super Bowl a couple of days after the class. The following week I showed them the commercial and talked about how advertisements have become an integral part of the Super Bowl experience. It seemed like a good way to link current affairs and cultural nuggets to the material we had covered in class the week before using a short, humorous video. However, there is a point in the commercial where the NSA agent, Barry, is performing invasive surgery on a woman. As she wakes up and realizes what he’s doing she becomes alarmed. Barry pulls the blood-soaked surgical mask down past his mouth and assures her that, “it’s okay, it’s for freedom.” The look of horror on my students face at the morbid humor was priceless!

Ukrainian Culture Project
One idea I had for my Intercultural Communication classes was to have the students create a class blog that described various aspects of Ukrainian culture for an English-speaking audience. This was a chance for the students to present “real Ukrainians” rather than have their country portrayed only in terms of recent political events. As a motivational activity, we watched a USA Tourism Promotion video. (If you want to feel a swell of pride at the cultural and geographic diversity of the US, I encourage you to watch this video!) The video worked and the students got really excited about the opportunity to present their country in the way that they experience it. One of the students even blurted out, “Awesome!” Those are the moments you hope for as you plan a class!

Week two. I ask my Intercultural Communication students to describe the topics they have been thinking about for the blog project only to be met with nervous whispers and deflected glances. My heart sank as I struggled with the idea that they hadn’t put any effort into the project during the intervening week. One of the students meekly asked if they could borrow my laptop and their Ukrainian teacher insisted that I allow them to do so. What happened next made my jaw hit the floor. Every student in the class had conspired to assemble a comprehensive presentation about Ukraine. It covered every aspect of culture, from food to faux pas, from music to must-see locations in Ukraine. The presentation lasted over an hour and culminated in a video presentation to match the USA Tourism Promotion video I had showed in class the week before. The students had basically completed in a single week a project that was intended occupy an entire semester. Молодці!

Class Photo
As I mentioned last fall, Ukrainians love posing for pictures, so it was no surprise that a couple of my classes wanted to pose for pictures with me. Here I am in a classroom with one of my Intercultural Communication groups. You can see on the chalkboard that we were discussing English idioms and the blog that Kathrina and I have been keeping.



So when another class asked to pose for a picture with me, I thought nothing of it. It happened to be Valentine’s Day that day, and near the entrance of the main building of the university they had a booth set up where you could have a professional Valentine’s Day photo taken. (Valentine’s Day has become increasingly popular in Ukraine over the past few years.) The students wanted to pose with me and my counterpart, Khrystyna, in a downpour of hearts. When the students posted the picture to Facebook, Khrystyna was so worried that Kathrina would get the wrong impression that she sent me a message warning me about the post!

No comments:

Post a Comment