Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Jungle Cats

It was a Tuesday toward the end of training and I had a tough morning, feeling unmotivated and particularly itchy from the numerous mosquito bites, with which all of us volunteers are continually blessed. As usual, Matt and I headed to the junction where we waited for the bus that would take us to our training facility. When the bus with the other trainees arrived on the dirt road that morning, our fellow trainee Ashley enthusiastically shouted from the bus “We have a surprise for you!” Being in a somewhat apathetic mood that morning, I did not really expect much from this statement.

Well, let me just say that my mood shifted rapidly once I found out what this surprise actually was! As I came around to the other side of the bus, Ashley handed me a tiny calico kitten and passed another red kitten to Matt. These homeless kittens were just a few weeks old, a bit scraggly-looking and absolutely adorable. They spent the 40-minute morning bus ride on our laps, doing cute kitten things and by the time we arrived at our training facility, it had been decided that we would adopt them. So, without further ado, meet Laluni (calico girl) and Kuru (red boy)!


Such sweet innocence! Laluni and Kuru at an estimated 6 weeks of age, after several baths and many feedings.


 

During training, Laluni thoroughly enjoyed watching Casper, our host family’s macaw.



The night before our swearing-in ceremony Matt was putting the final touches on his speech. Laluni took it upon herself to do some proof-reading.



When our uninvited pets (cockroaches, beetles, leaf bugs, bats, lizards, frogs, etc.) come around, and they do on a daily basis, little Kuru turns into a ferocious feline. He bats them around the apartment for a good while, growling at anyone who comes near him and his freshly acquired treasure. Once he has had enough, he rips his unlucky prey to shreds and finally enjoys it as an all-organic snack. Then he takes a nap.
 
 

Kuru does not only protect our home from unwanted insects! He also proudly defends the household each and every time the evil, pink dust pan comes out. When I sweep, he follows me around, charging at the broom and sitting in the dust pan whenever I’m not quick enough (which is most of the time). Matt, who claims to be suffering from musical terets, could not help but write the following song to melodically express these goings-on. (To fully appreciate what is to follow, please read the lyrics below to the tune of “Cats in the Cradle”)

And the cat’s in the dustpan on the dirty floor
He’s got to do something or else he gets bored
He’ll climb up the curtains just as far as he can
And then he’s gonna bite the fan, boy
You know he’s gonna bite the fan

 
I am hesitant to publically admit this, but Matt and I belong to a Whatsapp group entitled “Crazy Cat People of Guyana”. Given that several of our fellow volunteers have taken in stray cats in the last few weeks, one of them appropriately decided it was finally time to start a support group for American parents of adopted Guyanese kittens. My first contribution to this group was a call to all group members to share kitten selfies. Here are ours:
 
Kuru did not find it nearly as humorous as I did.



Laluni was also a bit hesitant. She is embarking on those awkward teenage years where taking a selfie with your dad is just not cool.


Feeding Time: This video may contain graphic images. Viewer discretion is advised. 

 

Our kittens may act like they are starved but in reality they enjoy two to three home-cooked meals a day as cat food is not available where we live.
 

That's it from us for meow...Come and visit us in Mabaruma anytime!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment